VoIP, or Voice over IP, is one of the biggest breakthrough technologies to appear in the 20th century. It’s changed the way that we think about communication forever, ensuring that teams from all around the world can connect to each other quickly, reliably, and cost-efficiently.
VoIP works by allowing telephone communication to be transmitted through digital computer networks like the internet. It converts analog signals into digital data that systems can process much faster and more effectively than traditional phone lines.
With VoIP, today’s businesses can maintain consistent quality levels in calls between employees and customers, or even establish conversations with people across the globe, without having to take on the additional expense.
Here, we look at some of the advantages of VoIP, and why it’s crucial to businesses today.
The advantages of VoIP compared to traditional phones
To fully understand the popularity of VoIP, it’s worth comparing the technology to the traditional PSTN lines we used to rely on.
When you place a standard phone call using the conventional Public Switched Telephone Network, or “PSTN,” you use circuit-switched telephony to set up dedicated channels between two points for a call. The systems work thanks to a vast selection of copper wires that carry analog data around the world, via unique circuits.
On the other hand, when you make a VoIP call, you use something called packet-switched telephony. This allows voice information to travel to its destination in the form of digital signals sent over the internet. There’s no need for physical hardware switches in your business or extra expenses to make long-distance calls. Additionally, the resilience of the VoIP network often means that providers can offer customers sturdier and more consistent call quality.
Understanding the popularity of VoIP
The popularity of VoIP has remained consistent since its arrival on the market, because there are many advantages to communicating with ‘Voice over IP’, instead of using traditional networks. People generally find VoIP phone systems more convenient than other forms of telecommunication, as they require a lot less maintenance and hardware management. The cost of VoIP is also significantly lower than that of most standard PSTN options.
The advantages of VoIP include:
- Cost: VoIP phone calls are some of the cheapest means of communication. You don’t need to install nearly as much hardware into your business, because there’s no need for any public switches or specific telephone lines. Additionally, you can even eliminate desk phones if you want to and use softphones to make calls over the internet instead. This means that you use an application on your smartphone or desktop to place calls.
- Scalability: VoIP solutions are often delivered over the cloud, which means that you can add lines, features, and functionality according to your needs. Increasing the number of minutes you can use on a VoIP package is incredibly easy, and you can add new features to your call system at the touch of a button. Additionally, VoIP phone systems allow you to easily open bases in other countries if you decide to take your business global.
- Versatility: While PSTN lines generally offer audio calls and nothing else, VoIP technology allows for the transmission of digital data packets over the internet. Those data packets can include audio, video, and text. That means that you have endless opportunities to upgrade your communication strategy; however you like.
- Call features: Most PSTN offerings come with a limited number of features. To upgrade your features, you need to generally pay for more hardware or a better phone. On the other hand, with VoIP calls, you can access anything from repeat dial, to call transfers, call recording and more, all by just speaking to your provider.
- Convenience: Using a VoIP phone is incredibly simple. Most come with very easy-to-follow user interfaces, and it’s even possible to download VoIP technology onto a smartphone so that employees can take their phone features with them on the go. This is particularly valuable in an environment where remote and mobile workforces are growing more popular.
The advantages of VoIP phones are growing by the year. As technology continues to evolve with the arrival of things like automation, AI, IoT, and even 5G, the chances are that VoIP connections will become an even more compelling opportunity for businesses that are ready to upgrade their communication strategy. If you’re looking for a way to enhance your phone system, contact Nice Network today to find out more about VoIP.